Sunday, August 8, 2010

F.A.Q. #9: Shouldn't There Be More Cards For Player X?

Mark writes, "I just wanted to alert you to the fact that when I searched for "David Cone" the earliest card that comes up is his 1990. If I`m not wrong, I think his first Topps card was from the 1987 traded set."

One thing about Topps is that they were not always consistent with player names on their cards. In fact there were several David Cone cards prior to 1990, but on those cards he appears as "Dave Cone". Another example is that pitcher David Wells is listed as Boomer Wells on a number of cards.

So if you put "David Cone" into the search box, you'll miss all the "Dave Cone" cards, and putting "David Wells" into the search box means you'll miss all the "Boomer Wells" cards. My suggestion to Mark was to use the "Position To" box instead, typing "Code, D" to position to the Cones, starting with "D", which would get you to the Daves, followed by the Davids.

No comments :